Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A great start

The Generation 2008 has been off to a great start. Last night (Tuesday) we had our first plenary session, which took us through an interesting history of youth in Canada and ended up with looking at postmodern youth in our world. We followed that with a great Eucharist service, for some reason when I am gathered with youth and/or youth leaders and others in similar ministries the service are full of so much joy, emotions, and meaning. I really enjoyed it! Our National Indigenous Bishop, Mark MacDonald, did the sermon. He had great stories and provided a basis for some personal reflection. We ended yesterday with some social time. 

Today started early as every morning will be. We did the normal engaging in base groups, worship, friends, and food! Today I attended the Transformational Youth Ministry workshop, which went very well. This afternoon was a very meaningful time for the Aboriginal peoples, at 3:00pm we all gathered together at the big screen TV where we watched the governments long awaited apology for the pain and suffering of all those connected to the residential schools. It was a powerful moment for us all as we too have waited for this needed apology to be given. 

We also got to learn how to drum on African drums, along with some songs, and some dancing. I was not so good with the dancing but it was all very fun. Especially the drumming! It was the highlight of our day together. 

I also spent some time engaging in small groups and forming relationships and connections across Canada. But at this point it is late and the "social time" is still going on. I hope the weather is a beautiful for you all as it is here!

No comments: