I'm halfway through my summer work at Sorrento Centre and things are now in full swing. Last week was our Anglican Programming Week One, what I call the “experimentation week” began. This is the week where I re-learn what forms of scheduling works, how to gather enough time in each day to accomplish all that needs to be done, how the staff team is going to mesh together as community, so on and so forth. And I love it, I love all of it. Some days and moments are more crazy then others, but the end product of the week often is feeling prepared for the coming four weeks of Anglican Programming.
A few things took place last week that have been first time occurances for me, even though this is my fourth summer here. 1) We had a very sweet elderly lady on site who required a lot of assistance and I somehow took on a major piece of that role. It was great to be able to help her, which in return meant she was able to say for the whole week and enjoy her Sorrento Centre experience. And yes, for a few days I thought that I'd make a good seniors care aid... but by the end of the week that thought too had gone! 2) I cancelled our water fight on Thursday afternoon due to the thunder and lightening storm that was taking place. Safety comes first, but it doesn't mean our young folks were not disappointed. 3) Again, due to the weather our Variety Night had to be held indoors opposed to outside in Kekuli - our large outdoor round gathering place.
All this learned, experienced and discovered while figuring out how the summer is going to work the most smoothly... And now, day two of our second week of programming... we have had yet another storm and three of our buildings are without power. Two of which hold guest accommodation and the kitchen. To top that, my laundry (for the second time this summer) is stuck in the washing machine while the power is still out...
The best part so far. Seeing and listening to the pure excitement of the staff team as they learn, face challenges, plan new pieces of the work life, and continue to love God and what they are doing. They are amazing, tons of fun, and super energized and engaged in the community.
Here's to waking up to the power being back on in the morning... it would help with the breakfast making and laundry doing...
No comments:
Post a Comment