
I just got back from Assembly a few hours ago. Assembly is a meeting with representation from each parish in the Anglican Parishes of the Central Interior (APCI - the "region" I am a part of) which meets every two years. It's a time to gather and be together, to hear from the different councils and ministry groups, go through resolutions, nominate people to the councils, and share in celebration. This years Assembly was no exception, it was wonderful! I came home physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted - but it was good! I have no idea how you become physically exhausted when you are sitting in a chair for hours at a time, but it happened!
We had Rt. Rev. Barry Clarke from the Diocese of Montreal join us. We are beginning a companion relationship with them. Our relationship together will include a lot of prayer for one another, twinning of parishes, creating opportunities for exchange (clergy exchanges, youth, lay, ect..), programs between one another, and lots more!
I belong to the Task Force on the Future of APCI, over the last few years we have met a number of times to look at what the future of APCI might be. Part of our mandate was to bring some suggestions and direction to this Assembly. And so we did, we are sending delegates and their parishes into a journey for a year, a journey of collecting stories as we all discern what it is we are called to be and do in this place at this time. So up came "Discerning the Way Forward." I gave a five minute presentation on the "Youth Perspective" and this was just the beginning of me talking at this meeting... In a years time we will gather together and and share our stories, and look at the future tasks and possibilities again. I am excited for us to gather and share together!
We went over the information for our Nominating Assembly which will take place on March 7, 2008. We are going to be nominating a new Bishop as Bishop Gordon is retiring at the end of December. I am also a part of the Nominating Search Committee.
We also heard from some of our First Nations brothers and sisters, along with from the elders. They shared with us the Healing Journey. It was a great and moving presentation. Long in length but powerful in content.
For nominations I allowed my name to stand for Coordinating Council once again, and also for General Synod - both youth positions. I was elected for both positions, Coordinating Council meets twice a year and General Synod is taking place June 3-11th, 2010 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I am excited to be a part of both groups.
I, along with another youth delegate, gave a report on Generation 2008 - the conference which my first blog entries were about. That went well. And then there were the resolutions... yes resolutions. With someone who motions it, someone who seconds it, they speak to the motion, we "debate" it, call for the question, and vote. Some are quick, and others not so quick.
I seconded the motion asking for permission from our "Suffragan Bishop to allow clergy whose conscience permits, to bless same-sex couples following their duly solemnized and registered civil marriage, where at least one party is baptized, and to authorize an appropriate rite of blessing and guidelines for its use." I don't know if any of you have heard about this issue in the Anglican Church of Canada, but it is a major one, with two distinct sides, and even to the point of parishes leaving the Anglican Church of Canada. Even though I knew that I supported the motion fully, it took me a few days to say I would second it, just because I knew of the distinct sides and different feelings of the people. I didn't expect to change anyones opinion but to allow mine to be heard. I believe that it is time for the church to accept everyone, to really live out the commandment to love one another. I believe by not offering the blessing to those in same-sex unions we are not inviting everyone to be a part of our church. Everyone deserves to be blessed, and no one likes to feel not included. I was anxious to see where the conversation would go and what would happen. After one person spoke to the motion another person tried to table it, at vote it was only supported by five people or so. So discussion continued into Sunday. After everyone who wanted to speak spoke, which might I add it was emotional listening to the feelings and opinions of both sides, we took it to a vote! And 72% voted in favor of the motion, 20% against, and 8% abstained from vote. So by quite a percentage the resolution was carried, the Bishop concurs with the decision from the people but clergy can't go out and act upon the motion. The Bishop has some discussions to have with other Bishops, and also has some guidelines to authorize and make. And yet, it's great; it's great that the people of APCI have talked about it, and came to a conclusion, were respectful to one another, and our voices have been heard!!
Yeah, I'll leave it at that, I could ramble on a bit more - but I leave you with that extensive amount! It was a great Assembly, great to see so many people, great to be a part of the work of the church, and fabulous to work together with so many inspirational and knowledgeable people.
Next weekend I am at Sorrento Centre for Crusillo (A short Course on Christian Living), I don't know much about it, but I'm excited, and will find more out soon! Then I am home for a weekend doing youth group stuff, then off to Toronto for a meeting, back home for the next weekend, then down to Kelowna for another meeting. Am I excited? Thrilled!
I would love to hear your thoughts and what you are doing in your life. I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the beauty of the fall leaves.
This blog entry and any other before it express the opinions of myself, and not of anyone else. Including within the Anglican Church of Canada.
1 comment:
Melissa:
thanks for sharing your front seat view of the proceedings and happenings at APCI assembly.
Blessings to you and may God be with the APCI in deliberating their next steps.
Post a Comment