Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Only in Youth Ministry

My roommate and I got talking this past weekend about the upcoming youth group gathering on Monday night. This week the youth were challenged to build some kind of protection around an egg so that when dropped from the top of a ladder it had a chance of not breaking. We got talking before hand and eventually came up with the idea to make a large container of jello and have our egg dropped into it. And we carried out this crazy plan. Hours and hours of making jello... our fridge was filled with jello. This was possibly one of the craziest things I had ever agreed to carry out!

I spent Sunday night picturing it all going wrong. I could see the egg hitting the jello and bouncing onto the floor - reaching it's pending death. I was imagining jello and egg everywhere. I was filled with uncertainty and the many imaginative conclusions that I had come up with during the night. And the next day - my only thought (beyond this is crazy) was "how are we disposing of this massive amount of jello afterward?" (Still to be determined!)

What did I learn on Monday night? That the youth I work with are very good "protection" builders... none of their eggs broke. Okay, I probably allowed way too many supplies and way too much time - but we had fun in the building process! And the jello... all turned out well. The egg was surrounded by the jello and protected from breaking. It was the coolest thing ever and I am still amazed that it actually worked! The egg bounced and then was kind of suctioned in...

View the video here (and I promise, we didn't eat the jello afterwards!):





No comments: