St. Paul's is also the birthplace of Sunday School in Canada... imagine that! Underneath the floor of the church many early worshipers are buried, including Charles Inglis who was the first Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia.
One of the windows is said to have the apparent profiled in it of Rev. Jean-Baptiste Moreau who was an assistant at the parish during the time of the Halifax Explosion on December 6, 1917. After the explosion their vestry was used as an emergency hospital.
There is a lot of detail in the church and lots of fascinating things to read and see. There is even a pew reserved for the Queen herself! I spent an hour in the church looking at it all and talking with the lovely Parish Administrator.
After my tour of the church I went to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and had a great three hours soaking up all the history. I was most interested in the information on the Halifax Explosion and the Titanic. I have always been interested in the two events but now more then ever I look to learn more. Both sections of the museum brought tears to my eyes as I read and listened to the stories of what people went through.
The pictures to the left is of a deck chair from the Titanic that was picked up by a rescue boat as they picked up dead bodies... the only one. The other Titanic story that caught my attention was that of the unknown body and how the sailors who picked up the child also paid for his burial and service... it was the only child recovered from the water and his burial was also in remembrance of all the children who were lost in that tragedy.
Everything about the Halifax Explosion amazed me... the stories, the pain, the sequence of events, the aftermath, the recovery. I want to know more... I just can't imagine being there. My great, great, great aunt two years ago told me about what it was like being in Halifax during the Explosion, I didn't make a major connection to how amazing it is that she survived. Needless to say, I'm hoping that she still can remember enough to share more stories with me. Has this been recored? I'm not sure... but I do hope to find out!
The other really cool piece of the Museum is their latest crew member... Merlin - a Rainbow Macaw!! He is so cute and colourful! Don't you just love him?
So yes, that was pretty much the events of my Tuesday... the rest of the day was very rainy - actually I don't think it stopped raining!! I even had to taxi back to St. Mary's... that is how rainy it was! But, it was a great day filled with lots of history!
No comments:
Post a Comment