Monday, May 31, 2010

Kilts... bagpipes... Halifax Citadel

Today's main adventure was to the Halifax Citadel. (You can see a picture that I took from google!) The Halifax Citadel was a "principal navel station in the British Empire and was very important to Canada's development and evolution from colony to nation." (Google it if you want more information!) It was a very windy day today up until dinner time but slightly freezing/blowing away was so worth it to spend a chunk of the day at the Citadel!

There was so much history to be explored, lots of men dressed up in the uniform of the day, the changing of the guard, and bagpipes were playing! There were also men engaging in their first day of drill training which was fun to watch!

The group learning the drill routines will actually be part of competitions (if that is the correct terminology!) and even though this is all an "act" or "play" the people working

there actually get ranked according to the training they go through. So when you are at the Citadel it is like really being there in the time (except that it is 2010!).

The guards actually stand on guard for an hour before they get a two hour "break". And for the most part they stand perfectly

still - even as people stand next to them to get their picture taken and whatnot. I got to watch the changing of the guard which was really cool. The picture to the right is of two guards changing positions. The guy in the background is the one shouting orders to them... it is all done very well and is very intriguing.

Are you wondering what they men think of wearing a kilt for their job? Well they actually like it! One guy told us that it is the perfect summer wear... so there you go! And actually even in history when the decision was made that they would start wearing pants a whole pile of the gu
ys at the time protested and left... they liked their kilts! Why did the forces eventually transfer over to wearing pants? Well - all because of the barbed wire fences they had to go over!

There was lots to see and much to do there, everything from a walk through army history, a visit to the old schoolhouse, to walking along the wall. We also saw/heard the canon go off... it still goes off every day at noon... every single day! We went in one of the walls behind the main

wall to discover that it was very dark and quite scary (yep, I didn't walk down it!!) but right by the doorway was a small window that the guards would look out of.. and a bird had taken of the space. No bird was there when I looked through the small window, but just a nest with a single egg... I do hope the mother and/or father come back... can you see the poor little egg there?

Once we were done at the Citadel Matt, Jenn, and I went for lunch (they are the last two here from Youth Council and leave tomorrow) and then we walked around and looked at some of the shops. I've been doing very well with figuring things out with my map... people are very nice in Halifax and the cars always stop for pedestrians... amazing I know!! The one things that messes me up from time to time is that there won't be streets names a

t certain places... I kind of expect them to be there when I reach a four way stop... that can get me turned around and briefly panicked - but it's all good!

One last picture... (why so many pictures? The kids like pictures the best!!) a huge ship coming into the harbour... yes, those seem to be like the boxes that our trains carry in British Columbia... but on a huge ship! (I know - they have many modes of transportation!) But I thought it was pretty cool!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this Melissa. I am really enjoying your blog. Looking forward to your return however. Lyn